We’re passionate about local nonprofits, and we’re involved as board members and volunteers. But we’re also their attorneys: we act as general counsel to nonprofits ranging from small start-ups looking to get 501(c)(3) status to some of the area’s largest and most well-known organizations.
We’re here to help nonprofits understand their legal rights and responsibilities—whether it’s helping a new organization navigate the process of getting its federal tax exemption, revising an organization’s bylaws to make sure it’s taking advantage of and complying with the latest rules, or even creating an association between a for-profit and nonprofit entity that will comply with IRS rules, we can help. We share your passion for your work in the community—and we’ll take care of the legal aspects of your organization so you can focus on the important thing: your mission.
We work with clients in the following areas:
• Forming nonprofit corporations
• Applying for and achieving tax-exempt status, including status as a charity, social club, or trade organization
• Reviewing and revising Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws to comply with latest legal requirements
• Board trainings: educating your Board of Directors on individual and collective legal responsibilities
• Employee handbooks
• Associations and joint ventures between for-profit and nonprofit entities
• Donor solicitation and reporting requirements
• Washington state tax reporting requirements
• Day-to-day advice on operations and transactions